We Have Not Withdrawn Protest Against Kotoko – Hearts

The Accra-based side are holding on to what could potentially save their face at the end of the season and are not ready to let go.

The public relations officer of Hearts of Oak, Opare Addo, has debunked reports the club have backed down on a charge against Asante Kotoko for allegedly fielding an ineligible player in their league clash.

The Phobians suffered a 2-1 defeat in one of the most exciting clashes in recent times at the Accra Sports Stadium on August 2, with Dauda Mohammed fetching the all-important winner for the Porcupine Warriors.

The aftermath of the matchday 25 fixture has, however, seen Hearts launch a protest against Kotoko for fielding Obed Owusu, a player Hearts claim had earlier received four yellow cards and was, thus, expected to serve a mandatory one-match suspension which was to take effect in the said game.

“It is not true that we have withdrawn our protest,” Addo told Fox FM.

“We will file our response on Monday.

“After filing our protest, Kotoko have submitted their defence, so we have to file a response before the case is called.”

Shortly upon hearing of the protest, Kotoko released a statement calling for calm among supporters as the club have “done no wrong to warrant points-deduction”. However, the Phobians refuse to budge.

“We have three days to respond which would end Monday by 5 pm, after which if there’s no response, then we are out of the rule,” Addo said.

“So we would file a response by the close of day Monday.”

Undoubtedly their worst season ever in recent years, Hearts are currently trapped in a relegation fight, lying fifteenth on the league log with two rounds of matches to end the season, whereas rivals Kotoko find themselves third.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login