Unmotorable roads deny Kakum Park millions of cedis

Programme Officer of the Ghana Heritage Conservation Trust – managers of the Kakum National Park, Jonathan Nyaaba has said the park is not generating much revenue because of infrastructural challenges.

He said the absence of motorable roads for tourists to travel on have contributed to a reduction in the revenue potentials of the Park.

Nyaaba said the roads have been in a bad condition for so many years and attempts to get the government to construct them have proven challenging.

According to him, the Kakum National Park is part of a Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) between government of Ghana and the Ghana Heritage Conservation Trust.

He said the revenue generated from the Park is divided into two with the State reserving 52 per cent whilst the Ghana Heritage Conservation Trust keeps the remaining 48 per cent.

Speaking on the Joy FM’s Super Morning Show special edition held in Cape Coast, Nyaaba said, considering the percentage distribution and agreement, it is the responsibility of the government to construct the roads linking the adjoining towns to the Park.

The Green book published by the government pegged the amount generated by the tourism industry at $2.2 billion.

However, the industry is under-developed with unconstructed roads inhibiting tourists from visiting the site.

Nyaaba said if the roads are developed, the Park will be able to attract more tourists and then generate more revenue for the development of the industry.

Story by Ghana|Myjoyonline.com|Austin [email protected]


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login