Two dead in renewed Bunkprugu clashes

Two persons have been shot dead in the Bunkprugu District in the Northern Region following the renewed chieftaincy clashes in the area.

The deceased who have been identified by the police  are yet Dupak Lapak, 58, a farmer and Bawa Chanleep, 20, a tailor.

The Northern Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Ken Yeboah when contacted confirmed the shooting of the deceased persons but could not give details.

According to investigation by the Graphic Online, the shooting was in retaliation to an incident which occurred on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 in which some houses were burnt down.

The renewed clash which is believed to be between the two royal families in the area, the Jamond and Jafok, did not only lead to the killing of the two but also the burning down of many houses.

Several people are said to be injured in the clashes.

Meanwhile, latest information gathered indicate that the sporadic gun exchanges between the two feuding factions in the chieftaincy dispute in the area has kept people indoors for fear of being hit by a stray bullet.

The situation has also affected the general activities in the town including schools been shut down.

DCOP Yeboah told Graphic Online that the situation had been brought under control.

Background
It will be recalled that three persons were shot dead on November 29 and 30, 2015 following a chieftaincy clashes between the Jamond and Jafok families in Bunkprugu.

The area is under a 6am to 8pm curfew.


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login