Raid at NPP HQ could hurt confidence in new IGP – Faibille

Legal practitioner, Egbert Faible, says last week’s break-in at the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) headquarters could blot confidence in the leadership of the recently appointed Inspector General of Police, John Kudalor.

Mr Faibille was referring to a claim by the NPP that the raid on Monday at its headquarters in Accra was aided by men in military and police vehicles.

The NPP-affiliated legal practitioner believes that, it is not easy to have access to a police vehicle, stating “a police vehicle cannot be driven by anybody else other than a police officer”.

He was speaking on news analysis programme, Newsfile, on Joy FM and the Joy News channel (Multi TV).

John Kudalor was appointed Acting IGP by President John Mahama last week, replacing Mohammed Alhassan.

Egbert Faibille told host of Newsfile, Samson Lardy Anyenini, the incident at the NPP office was troubling and “provides a certain basis for critical evaluation of the situation by the Acting Inspector General of Police. This has happened so early under his tenure”.

“Is it the style of the Ghana Police Service to lend itself to private enterprises of the nature that took place at the New Patriotic Party headquarters and regional offices? Certainly no”, Egbert Faibille said.

Egbert also noted that the posture of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) since the incident happened threatens Ghana’s democracy.

According to him, the governing NDC could have issued a statement condemning the incident and state its commitment to finding the perpetrators of Monday dawn’s raid.

He said the NPP was an important democratic institution. “An offence against the party is an offence against the public interest,” he said.

The opposition party at a press conference in Accra, Friday, alleged the government organised rogue elements in the military and police personnel to invade its head quarters as part of an agenda to create the impression that NPP was in turmoil.

The government has since described NPP’s claims as malicious.

Communication’s Minister, Dr Edward Omane-Boamah, also said on Newsfile Saturday that the claims by Ghana’s largest opposition party were “wicked and malicious falsehood”.

Story by Ghana | Myjoyonline.com | George Nyavor | [email protected]


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login