Police, military on high alert in Bunkrugu after renewed clashes

Police and military reinforcement have been dispatched to Bunkprugu in the Northern Region Monday following renewed clashes two days ago.

At least one person was severely injured in the violence that is steeped in ethnic and chieftaincy disagreements.

Joy News’ Northern Region Correspondent, Hashmin Mohammed, says Bunkrugu has been under heavy security since the violence that lasted more than 48 hours.

A resident told Joy News he heard heavy gunshots during the clashes. He said although police attempted to quell the violence it proved daunting.

“The Police themselves were tired. You could hear police siren but after a while you would not hear the police siren again [but] the sound of the gunshots,” the resident told Joy News.

In April this year, two people were killed and several properties destroyed after similar clashes.

However, peace returned to the area after a 15-hour curfew was imposed on the Northern Region town. Interior Minister, Mark Woyongo, also met with the feuding parties in a bid to broker peace.

Meanwhile, police in Northern Region say they are making progress with efforts to forestall further violence in the area.

The Bimobas and Konkombas in the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District have a long-standing land dispute that has occasionally resulted in violence.

A similar conflict erupted between the two ethnic groups in September last year and resulted in the death of about six people and the destruction of houses.

Similar clashes between the two groups were recorded in 1985, 1986 and 1989 during which a number of casualties were recorded and many people were displaced.


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login