Miners put first aid and safety skills to the test

All is set for the grand finale of the 2015 National Inter-Mines First Aid and Safety Competition (NMFASC).

The Competition is an annual event to showcase the mining industry’s awareness and preparedness to mitigate health and safety impacts in the mines and mining communities. Furthermore it serves as a platform to disseminate knowledge on health, safety, and first aid to residents in mining communities and the Ghanaian populace.

The 2015 competition is on the theme: “Safety, all the way”. The event is held under the collaborative auspices of the Chamber of Mines and the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission (IDMC) with support from the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, the Minerals Commission of Ghana and St. John Ambulance.

In the past, the competition, comprising both oral and practical components, was held within the precincts of host mines with community members and some key stakeholders in attendance. This year however, the oral component of the zonal competition was decoupled from the practical contest and televised live on GTV’s ‘ What Do You Know’ programme.

According to the Chief Executive Officer of the Chamber of Mines, Mr. Sulemanu Koney, the decision to separate the orals from the practical component was borne out of a need to: “widen the coverage in order that the larger public would benefit from the programme regardless of their geographical location.”

He said “the competition affords participating companies and communities an opportunity to reinforce their knowledge in first aid and safety. By demonstrating their skills along with their peers in realistic scenarios, employees and community members develop the confidence to protect and save lives in times of emergencies.”

The 2015 final ceremony, which is scheduled to take place on 28th November, 2015 at Gold Fields, Damang, will be preceded by the oral contest between the finalists namely: Adamus Resources, Gold Fields Damang, Chirano Gold Mine and Golden Star Wassa Ltd on GTV’s What Do You Know’ quiz programme on Sunday, 22nd November, 2015 at 12:00 GMT.

The oral contest constitutes 40 percent of the competition with the practical making up for the remaining 60 percent. Mr. Koney congratulated the finalists and wished them well ahead of the grand finale.


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login