Miner Shot Dead… 8 Rioters Arrested

Yaw Badu
CALAMITY STRUCK when an illegal miner was reportedly shot dead in public at Manso Nkran near Manso Nkwanta in the Amansie West District of the Ashanti Region on Tuesday afternoon.

Identified as Yaw Badu, the deceased was reportedly shot by a military man who was part of a joint Police/Military team called to the town to restrain angry youth of the area from rioting.

Newly elected Assemblyman of the area, Akwasi Fosu Mensah, who made the disclosure, said charged youth of the town were rioting in protest against a certain mining company for taking a decision to relocate some people in the town.

He said scores of people in Manso Nkran are living on a mining concession recently purchased by the mining company; hence, the need for the affected people to be relocated by the mining firm.

Fosu Mensah said on Nhyira Fm that the youth of the town were not happy about the resettlement process and therefore blocked roads and started throwing stones at officials of the mining company.

He stated that security agents, including a joint Military/Police team, brought to the town to ensure law and order and the smooth resettlement of the affected people, were also not spared during the riot.

Fosu Mensah said the hurling of stones at the security officials compelled a military man to pull the trigger, which hit Yaw Badu in the forehead, killing him instantly. Other people sustained injuries, he added.

Yaa Dapaah, a resident of the town, said she was also hit in the forehead by a rubber bullet fired by the security agents, adding that she was receiving treatment at Agoreyesum Hospital.

Commenting on the disturbing incident, ASP Mohammed Yussif Tanko, the Ashanti Regional Police PRO, said the police were yet to identify the person who shot and killed Yaw Badu.

He confirmed on Nhyira Fm that charged youth of the town went on a riot but said the police could not state whether the miner was shot by a military man, saying, ‘we have just started to investigate the case.’

ASP Tanko noted that eight of the rioters had been arrested by the police to assist in investigations, adding that calm had been restored to the town following police’s decision to intensify patrols in the area.

 FROM I.F. Joe Awuah Jnr., Kumasi

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login