Liberian Abandoned In Narh Bita Hospital

Moses Negbe
Global Marine Investment Limited (GMI), a Liberian stevedoring company, has abandoned their employee Moses Negbe, 54, who underwent a spine surgery at the Narh-Bita Hospital in Tema for three months.

Negbe had a successful surgery on Thursday, October 29, 2015 and has since been discharged, but he is still helplessly on his bed at the hospital.

The Liberian is hoping to see his employer or family to comfort him.

His post-surgical care and daily upkeep has become a burden not only for the facility but nurses at the hospital who feed him and his nephew, Johnny Johnson who accompanied him to Ghana for the treatment.

Negbe was brought to the facility by his employer, GMI after an accident on August 31, 2015 at a port in Liberia, which left him with a serious spine injury.

According to sources, Negbe, who could hardly talk or move any part of his body, was working in the port when a log fell from a crane and crushed his colleague to death, leaving him (Negbe) in a critical condition.

The source indicated that he was first rushed to the JFK Medical Centre in Monrovia where he spent 40 days and flown to Ghana due to the complexity of the injury and the need for a specialist attention which was not readily available in the country.

Mr. Johnson, in an interview, indicated that GMI facilitated Negbe’s transfer from the hospital in Liberia and made an initial payment for the surgery with a promise to provide for their upkeep while on admission in Ghana, as well as their return back to Liberia after treatment.

Two weeks after their arrival, the company cut links with them.

All efforts to reach them, including the field agent one Joe Sayahway, who is the lead contact for the company, proved futile.

Realizing the challenges that his patient was facing, one Dr. Andrew, who is said to have performed the surgery, drew the attention of the Liberian Embassy to the plight of their citizen.

According to Johnson, the embassy followed up to ascertain the veracity of the story but no further steps were taken thereafter.

Johnson indicated that he personally visited the embassy twice but he was not entertained.

“The embassy said it was a private affair which it could not address, he said.

Johnson said someone advised him to go to the Buduburam Camp to meet the leadership of the Liberian refugees for assistance but that proved futile.

Dr. Catherine Larko Narh-Menkah, Deputy Medical Director of the hospital, described the situation as appalling and wondered why the embassy was reluctant to assist its citizen.

“We are writing to them as a final measure to get them to assist at least in repatriating their national. We may have to advise ourselves if nothing positive comes up from that point.”

FROM Daniel Bampoe

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login