Gunshots At Bogoso Over Chieftaincy Dispute

Journalists covering a press conference on a Wassa Fiase chieftaincy case at Bogoso in the Western Region last Friday had to run for their lives when the peaceful event turned chaotic. Gunshots were fired by persons in the area who were said to be opposed the programme.

The press conference was organized by supporters and sympathizers of Odeneho Akrofa Krukoko II, who has now been declared the Omanhene of Wassa Fiase Traditional Area by the Judicial Committee of the Western Regional House of chiefs.

This was after a court had ruled in a chieftaincy dispute that had dragged on for close to 13 years, that Odeneho Krukoko is the rightful Omanhene of the area.

Osagyefo Kwamena Enimil V, who used to be the Omanhene of the area and President of the Western Regional House of Chiefs, had by the court ruling, been destooled.

The press conference was therefore organized by supporters of Odeneho Akrofa Krukoko II, to announce to the people the decision by the court and the Judicial Committee.

As the event progressed, alleged supporters of the destooled Omanhene, who had purportedly decided to disrupt the event, reportedly fired                gunshots towards the yard where the programme was taking place.

Journalists covering the event – most of who had traveled from Takoradi to Bogoso – had no choice but to run for their dear lives.

Some of the people present were also seen running helter skelter as the gunshots continued.

The media practitioners, numbering about seven, took refuge in a small room near the area.

Hell broke loose in that small room when some of the supporters of Odeneho Krukoko, wielding machetes, also decided to break into the room and attack some members of the opposing faction who found themselves in the room.

The journalists, who were at that moment praying for God’s intervention, had to be whisked into a taxi by the organizers of the programme to Tarkwa – about an hour drive from Bogoso – before they boarded a vehicle to Takoradi.

It was later gathered that the one who fired the gunshots took to his heels after realizing that he had achieved his aim of disrupting the programme.

However, some of the residents claimed that they were able to take snapshots of the perpetrator holding AK 47 riffle and that the case was reported to the police.

Addressing the press conference prior to the incident, Nana Kofi Bosompim of Wassa Benso noted that Odeneho Akrofa Krukoko II, known in private life as George Kingsley Kwasi Ampong, used to be the omanhene until 2002 when he was illegally destooled.

He recounted that in 2002, Odeneho Krukoko was sentenced to 14 days’ imprisonment by a Sekondi high court over a contempt case and that a day after his imprisonment, the kingmakers in the traditional area installed his cousin, Osagyefo Kwamena Enimil, as the new omanhene.

According to Nana Bosompim, the kingmakers claimed that once Odeneho Krukoko was imprisoned, it meant he had automatically been destooled.

Nana Bosompim mentioned that supporters of Krukoko were not satisfied with the kingmakers’ decision as they (kingmakers) did not follow the laid down processes for destooling an omanhene. After Krukoko was released from prison, the case was sent to court and he (Krukoko) came out victorious.

 From Emmanuel Opoku, Bogoso

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login