City authorities have vowed to clamp down on haphazard electricity connections in slums in the wake of yet another fire outbreak at a slum close to the Santase roundabout in Kumasi.
One person sustained severe burns and about 1000 people including women and children have been displaced in the latest slum blaze.
City Mayor Kojo Bonsu has been seeing to the medical bills of a five year old boy with a deteriorating eye problem whose medication and his family’s livelihood have been burnt.
This is the second Major slum fire after one at Dagomba line that destroyed many structures in Kumasi.
Tents are being erected to serve as shelter for women and children.
Luv Fm’s Erastus Asare Donkor reports residents in this slum close to the Santase roundabout were rudely awoken by a fire midnight on Saturday.
The women and children were whisked to safety.
But a 22-year-old washing bay attendant was trapped in the wooden structure where he was sleeping.
He sustained severe burns.
The plight of the five year-old boy caught the attention of the City Mayor Kojo Bonsu because his eyes were swollen, with a whitish fluid coming out of it.
His mum, a single mother of three and the children have been sleeping close to this filthy drain where their home used to be.
She tells me her son’s medication and everything has been lost to the fire.
City Mayor provided financial assistance, tents, mattresses, mosquitoe nets and other relief items.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.