Ayittey Powers Swerves Court

Professional Ghana­ian boxer, Michael Ayittey Okine, alias Ayittey Pow­ers who is standing trial before an Accra Circuit Court for allegedly taking an amount of GH₵l4,000 from two Kumasi resi­dents under the pretext of securing them visas, yes­terday failed to appear at his trial.

His counsel, Jerry Shaibu, informed the court presided over by Aboagye Tandoh that his client was indisposed; hence his inability to appear in court.

The case was subse­quently adjourned to December 11,2014. The suspect was put before the court, then presided over by Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, and charged with defrauding by false pretence.

He had pleaded not guilty and was granted a GH₵50,000 bail with two sureties.

Presenting the facts of the case, the prosecuting officer, Chief Inspector Isaac Agbemehia, said the complainants are Nana Oppong Yaw of Asuoyeboah, a suburb of Kumasi, and Kofi Asante of Abrepoh Junction, also in Kumasi.

According to him, in November 2013, the sus­pect took advantage of his boxing profession to acquire visas for some Ghanaians to travel to Aus­tralia as part of his boxing team.

He said some Ghana­ians resident in Australia, who heard of the deal, went and saw the boxer and told him they wanted some family members to join them, to which he agreed and promised to assist by acquiring visas for them.

The prosecutor stated that as a result of that Nana Oppong paid GH₵6,500 to the suspect while Asante paid him GH₵7,500. Ayittey then took their passports in order to acquire visas for them.

Prosecution stated that even though the com­plainants were not boxers, the suspect acquired box­ers’ identification cards for them from the boxing authority. He then forwarded these to the Australian High Commission and showed evidence to the complainants on February 12, 2014.

Explaining further, the prosecutor said the com­plainants were not satisfied with the outcome of their visa application and asked the boxer for a refund but he failed to do so.

He observed that the victims reported the matter to the police and the boxer was arrested and arraigned before court afterwards.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login