Army Head Orders Chief Imams Arrest Over Tafo Clashes

The Chief of Army Staff, Maj. Gen Richard Kwame Opoku-Adusei, has ordered the arrest of the Chief Imam of Tafo, a suburb of Kumasi in the Ashanti Region, for allegedly instigating the between Muslim youth and and indigenes of the area.

The order according to Citi News’ Ashanti Regional Correspondent, Hawa Iddrisu, was issued by the army chief on Thursday.

Iddrisu reports that Army Chief, who is in the company of police officers and REGSEC members in the Ashanti Region, were met by an angry mob wielding machetes forcing them to retreat and change their route.

She said the team were on their way to meet the head of the Muslim community when the youth blocked them. Hawa Iddrisu adds that the security team from Accra including Ajhaji Osman Salifu, the Deputy National Security Coordinator and the REGSEC, are locked up in an emergency meeting at the Golden Tulip Hotel in Kumasi.

Tensions are high in the Tafo Township following the Wednesday clashes over a piece of land that left 25 year old Aminu Sulemana dead, several others injured and property destroyed.

The destruction of property extended to some churches and a Mosque.

The confusion started after the demolition of a fence wall built by the Muslims to protect the cemetery land which they claim belongs to them.

Curfew and arrest The Ashanti Regional Security Council on Wednesday imposed a dusk to dawn curfew in order to protect lives and property.

Meanwhile several of the youth in Tafo on Thursday gathered in front of the Chief’s palace, in anticipation of possible attacks from the Muslim youth, who previously besieged the palace to vent their anger over the destruction of the cemetery’s fence wall.

But the police have confirmed the arrest of one person who was firing gunshots indiscriminately in the company of a gang.

The gang members managed to escape but he was nabbed. Despite the security measure, Citi News’ Hawa Iddrisu, says there is still simmering tension in the area.

But the Ashanti Regional Police Commander, DCOP Kofi Boakye, has told Citi News the police is earnestly investigating the incident and will bring the perpetrators to book.

He says the curfew will only be lifted when the situation is calm. Schools closed down Hawa Iddrisu says some school authorities have shut down in fear of further attacks. Some teachers told Citi News they closed down the schools because most pupils were absent.

He said, “Parents are not comfortable with the security in the area.

If they allow the children to come, they don’t know what will happen afterwards.” Another teacher said they asked the few children that turned up to go home “because of the clashes.”

Source: Citifmonline

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login