Afoko Thrown Out Again

An Accra Central Magistrate Court once again threw out a bail application for 52-year-old Gregory Afoko over the murder of Adams Mahama, the Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

According to the court presided over by Worlanyo Kotoku, the court did not have the mandate to grant the bail.

The judge said the court would not extend its jurisdiction in respect of granting the application.

In the view of Mr Kotoku, he was not inclined to grant the bail especially when a High Court had refused to grant the same application earlier filed by the lawyers of the accused.

He however ordered Israel Ackah to consider going to the Appeals Court.

This was after the court had earlier ordered the defence lawyers in the case to provide a High Court ruling which they had relied on for bail.

The lawyer had told the court that the said ruling by the High Court was emphatic that a Magistrate Court could grant bail in cases of murder.

Prior to the ruling, Superintendent Francis Baah said the prosecution felt ambushed because the defence lawyers had failed to make a copy of the said High Court ruling available to them.

He said the persecution was at sea especially when the ruling on whether or not to grant the bail was based on the ruling by the High Court.

Fred Awindago, a State Attorney, said he was in court when the said ruling was delivered and that there was no direction to the court on the granting of bail.

Sitting continues on January 6, 2016.
Afoko is standing trial over the death of Adams after an acid bath.

According to the A-G, Afoko must be charged for conspiracy to murder and murder.

He has been slapped with the charge of intentionally and unlawfully causing the death of Adams on May 20, 2015 at Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region.

According to the police, Issah Musah, who was a member of the NPP, on 19th May, 2015, solicited and procured the deadly acid which he gave to two other suspects who in turn poured the acid on Adams.

Asabke Alangdi, the third accused, has been on the run together with his wife, leaving behind their one-and-half-year-old baby.

According to the police charge sheet, after his arrest Gregory was asked to lead the police to the house of his accomplice, Asabke Alangdi, but “he rather took them to the father’s house. Police later located the house of the second but the suspect had got wind of their presence and absconded with his wife leaving behind their baby.”

“A gallon, which contains some of the substance, and a plastic cup were retrieved at the scene for forensic examination,” the charge sheet added.

The police have revealed that a “post mortem examination was conducted on the body of the deceased and the Pathologist gave the cause of the death as shock lungs and extensive acid burns.”

By Jeffrey De-Graft Johnson 
[email protected]

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login