Afoko Escapes Attack

The police yesterday averted another possible bloody clash between the family of the late Adams Mahama, Upper East Regional chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and Gregory Afoko, brother of the NPP National Chairman, Paul Afoko.

The investigator in the case in which Gregory, 53, a farmer and Issah Musah, a driver, are being tried over the murder of Adams said the police had picked intelligence that a group of persons were planning to attack Gregory.

He said he was informed that some members of the ‘gang’ were already at the Accra Central Magistrate Court while others were on the way to the court.

The police investigator, who stated that Supt Francis Baah, the substantive prosecutor in the case, could not be present for the trial, urged the court presided over by Worlanyo Kotoku to expedite hearing on the case.

Seconds after the magistrate had adjourned hearing until September 22, 2015, Gregory Afoko, who was closely followed by stern-looking gun-wielding police officers, was whisked way.

Telephone Calls
Meanwhile, a lady by name Hajia Boya, who started hurling insults at the accused persons, especially Gregory, was seen making several calls to some unknown persons.

She was heard reprimanding the recipients of her calls for not coming to the court early, adding that the case had been adjourned.

Wrong Court
DAILY GUIDE later gathered that the group rather assembled at the wrong court.

The gang lurked at the 24th February Cross Road Courts, popularly known as the Cocoa Affairs Court, for the intended attack.

This would have been the second time the two families had clashed in the course of the trial.

No Show
Once again, Alfred Adjei Mensah was not in court to defend his client, Musah, who is currently on bail.

Ekow Ampah Korsah, who represented both Gregory and Musah in court yesterday, said his colleague had said that he could not be in court.

According to Gregory’s lawyer, Mr Mensah was expected to move an application but had not asked him to do so on his behalf.

Mr Korsah accordingly prayed for an adjournment, hopeful that Mr Mensah would be present to move the application.

Gregory Afoko and Musah are before the court for allegedly intentionally and unlawfully causing the death of Adams Mahama on May 20, 2015 at Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region.

According to the police, Issah, who is a member of the NPP, on 19th May, 2015 solicited and procured the deadly acid which he gave to the other two suspects who in turn poured the acid on Adams.

Asabke Alangdi, the third accused, has been on the run together with his wife, leaving behind their one-and-a-half-year-old baby.

Gregory is facing charges of conspiracy and murder while Issah Musah is being tried for abetment.

The plea of the two has not been taken.
According to the police charge sheet, Gregory, after his arrest, was asked to lead the police to the house of his accomplice, Asabke Alangdi, but ‘he rather took them to the father’s house. Police later located the house of the second but the suspect had got wind of their presence and absconded with his wife leaving behind their baby.’

‘A gallon, which contains some of the substance and a plastic cup, were retrieved at the scene for forensic examination,’ the charge sheet added. The police have revealed that a ‘post mortem examination was conducted on the body of the deceased and the pathologist gave the cause of the death as shock lungs and extensive acid burns.’

[email protected]
By Jeffrey De-Graft Johnson

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login